Tuesday, December 25, 2012

New Year's Challenge

Today's Topic: New Year's Resolutions I'm sure that as we move closer to the new year, everyone will be blogging about new year's resolutions. Or at least, I'm assuming this is the case, but I guess I could be wrong, considering my inexperience with blogging. Now, I never have placed much stock in these, as they always have been, at least in my experience, empty promises we make to ourselves. They are nothing but hopes to do better, the false sense of a new beginning. But the reality is, all your problems follow you from one day to the next, and it doesn't matter whether or not it's 2012 or 2013. This being said, it is nice to tell ourselves that once a year, we get a fresh start. We get to change the things about ourselves that we are, we'll, less than content with. And unless you are lying or in complete denial of your human nature, you cannot say that that feeling, no matter how delusional, isn't great. No "New Year's Resolution" that I have ever made has ever come true. So this year, I am not making a Resolution. I am accepting a challenge. This challenge is not a specific act, rather, a lifestyle. Something that I am committing to. Something that I believe, is how we should all live. This "New Year's Challenge," as I have dubbed it, is a quote by Daniel Golston, and it is one of my favorites. I thought I would share it with you, whoever 'you' are, in hopes that you will also take something from it. "If you're going to be passionate about something, be passionate about learning. If you're going to fight something, fight for those in need. If you're going to question something, question authority. If you're going to lose something, lose your inhibitions. If you're going to gain something, gain respect and confidence. And if you're going to hate something, hate the false idea that you are not capable of your dreams."

No comments:

Post a Comment